A first-generation Nigerian American, Tometi has been active in immigrant rights for much of the last decade. As director of the Black Alliance for Just Immigration, she became a vocal opponent of Arizona’s controversial SB-1070.
- Opal is 2019 Trailblazer for Justice Awardee
- Coretta Scott King Center Honors Opal Tometi with Legacy Award
- How Black Lives Matter Cofounder Opal Tometi Makes Sure She Can “Weather the Storm”
- Forget Coates vs. West — We All Have a Duty to Confront the Full Reach of U.S. Empire
- The 2016 Webby Awards: Social Movement of the Year